The Hammig family legacy of crafting woodwind instruments began around 1780, passing through eight generations and nearly 230 years. During the period between 1906 to 1920, Philipp Hammig developed his skills to a high level and eventually built instruments under his own name. During this period, he started learning the profession in his father’s workshop, then went on to Berlin to the firm Rittershausen to study specialized flute making. In 1959, Philipp Hammig’s son, Gerhard took over the family business; however, the flutes and piccolos remained in the name of "Philipp Hammig," as they are known today, after Gerhard handed over the business to his four children in 1994.
Hammig piccolos are sought after all over the world due to the character found in their sweet, dark sound; a response found in such aged wood. All Hammig Piccolos are tuned to A=442, feature Straubinger pads, and include a split E mechanism (standard). The 650/3 and 650/4 models also include a G# (half-closing thumb) mechanism (standard).